This article describes the Virtual Background feature and how to install and use it.
Last Updated: Mar 2021
- This feature is in an experimental phase and may affect call quality when activated. We ask that you provide feedback on your experience with this feature.
- This feature is not yet available on mobile devices such as iPhones or tablets.
- For our Enterprise clients looking to implement this feature, we ask that you consult your Telehealth Coordinator in the first instance.
What is the Virtual Background?
The Virtual Background feature allows you to apply a blurred background to your camera feed to obscure your location from view, providing greater visual privacy within your call.
Effectively, to your client or patient, everything but your face will be blurred within the camera view as shown in the screen capture below:
How do I install the Virtual Background add-on?
You can install the Virtual Background from our add-ons Marketplace. Click the Virtual Backgrounds - Experimental tile and follow the installation prompts from there.
How do I use the Virtual Backgrounds?
Once installed, you can turn on the Virtual Background at any time. I recommend doing it when you're not in a call so you can take your time. To turn on the feature, follow these instructions:
- Enter your Coviu system as you normally would.
- Enter your User Room by clicking on your name in the left hand menu.
- If you don't have a User Room, then you may need to do it the next time you are in a Waiting Area call. You could also do a test call with a colleague to set it up prior to meeting with a client.
- Click the Settings button toward the top left corner or your Coviu room (see screen capture below)
- Scroll down to Experimental Options and click Select Background.
- If you do not have Experimental Options then check you have installed it as described above.
- From the background options, choose:
- None (no blur)
- Light Blur or;
- Medium Blur
- Once you have made your choice, click the Settings button again to exit the menu. See screen captures below for more information:
- You should now have Virtual Backgrounds configured for your account. The setting should remain the same moving forward and should carry across to any consultations you join in the Waiting Area.
- Can I add virtual pictures/photos to my background?
- No. At this stage we have just activated the blurring effect until we assess the impact it has on a video call.
- Can I use this on my mobile device (smartphone or tablet)?
- No. At this stage we have limited it to computers/laptops.
- Can my client or patient use this feature?
- Yes. If your client or patient is joining from a laptop or desktop computer.
- Will using this feature impact the quality of my call?
- It is possible this feature may impact your call. We ask that you register any issues or feedback using the contact information below.
Let us know if you need further help setting this up or would like to provide feedback?
Connect via the chat box on this page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.