This article outlines how to install and use the Coviu Desktop application, which allows giving remote control in a screenshare to a client
Last updated: Sept 2023
- This article applies to customers on our customisable Enterprise plan.
- The article is aimed at clinicians that need extra functionality for remote control in their video sessions.
On This Page:
1. Why is there a Desktop Application?
Coviu is generally used as a Web application where clients go to a Web address, sign in, and offer their virtual care services from.
However, there are a number of limitations that a Web application has to deal with and they all relate to the limitations of system access by a Web browser.
The biggest limitation is that a Web application is unable to offer remote control to another video call participant. Remote control means that a clinician shares their whole desktop or an application window with a remote participant and gives them control over their mouse and keyboard input. The remote participant can then interact with applications on the computer of the clinician.
The most common use case for remote control is probably in paediatrics where a clinician wants a remote child to interact with games or other interactive materials on their computer. This is very common in speech therapy, but also in use for occupational therapy and mental health assessments.
Another use case could be in audiology where a hearing device is connected to a patient's computer and the remote clinician can get access to the device settings to "tune" it to the patient's needs (also called "remote fitting"). In this use case, the patient will have the desktop application installed on their computer and allow the clinician to remote control their computer.
2. How to install the Desktop Application
The Desktop application is currently only available to Coviu Enterprise customers.
When your Coviu Team onboards you, they will share the Web address for downloading the Desktop Application.
There is a version for Windows and one for Macintosh.
3. First-time Setup of the Desktop Application
After you install the Desktop Application, you will be prompted to configure it:
- Select Custom Enterprise Platform as your region (the US and AU regions take you to the Coviu Web pages, which is counter-productive).
- Provide the URL of your Enterprise platform (e.g. https://telehealth.yourcompany.com/ ).
- Click Submit.
- Login, and start sessions!
Warning: If you have set up the wrong URL for the Desktop Application, you may not be able to sign into your Enterprise platform. Please reach out to Coviu to get help in resetting your application.
IMPORTANT: Clients will not need to install the application to utilize the feature. It is automatically available to clients that join a call that is hosted on the provider's desktop application.
4. Steps for using Remote Control
To enable the use of Remote Control, start the installed and configured Desktop Application, sign into your account, enter a video call and connect with a client.
From within the video call:
- Start a screen share. You will need to share your whole Desktop screen to enable remote control.
NOTE: The Desktop Application has a "Boom" Application built-in. It is special: it opens up a screenshare with Boom Learning in an overlay, so you don't have to screenshare your whole computer. It also automatically activates the sound in the screenshare, so your client can hear and sound associated with shared Boom cards.
- On the client's video call, in the toolbar of the shared screen, there is a new button which looks like a computer screen. It is with this button that they can request remote control access to the shared screen.
- As a provider, you then have the ability to allow or deny this access to your mouse and keyboard input.
- Once the provider has allowed access, they will see a note at the bottom of their screen that tells them who is controlling their computer. They can stop this access by clicking the Stop button.
- At the same time, the client will have a notification that they are controlling the screen of the provider and they, too, can stop the remote control by clicking the Stop button.
5. More Support Options
You have completed another Coviu help article. You now know how to offer remote control to your desktop or a Boom application on your Enterprise platform.
If this is not what you were looking for, explore our knowledge base and search for another article from here.
If you still require any assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our friendly Customer Success team using any of the contact methods available here.