What do I do if a connection is not created?
Last Updated: Aug 2021
On this page:
- Immediate troubleshooting steps
- Check your browser
- Check your internet connection
- Improve your internet connection
- Screensharing isn't working
- My camera isn't working
- I can't hear my client or patient
- My client or patient can't hear me
- Connecting from a corporate or work network
Immediate troubleshooting steps:
If you have checked your internet connection and it is working ok, try the following steps before moving on.
- Restarting your computer
- Clearing your browser cache (Instructions may vary for different browsers so you may need to Google this for your specific browser e.g. "clear chrome cache")
- Closing other open applications on the computer
Check your Web Browser
- Coviu currently supports the Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Microsoft Edge. You can check your browser at https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/.
- We prefer a Google Chrome browser (49+) but Coviu also works in Firefox (50+) and Safari (12+). Try to use the latest production browser as it will support all features.
- You can run Coviu on Windows, Mac OS X or Linux.
- To check whether your setup is complete, run the Precall test.
Check your Internet Connection
- If it is taking a long time to connect and when it does connect, you get poor quality video and broken audio, you might want to check your Internet connection.
- We recommend a minimum of 350Kbps upload and download speed for a two endpoint call. Also, your latency (or ping time) should be less than 100ms.
- There is more information available at Bandwidth usage of Coviu if you are interested.
How to improve your Internet Connection
- Sometimes you have a choice between different Internet connections, so which is the best to use for Coviu?
- We recommend going for a wired connection first, e.g. Ethernet in your office. If your computer runs on both Wireless and Ethernet, you might want to turn off the Wireless to make sure it uses the Ethernet.
- Wireless in an office can sometimes turn out worse than a 3G or 4G connection, particularly when many users are competing for the wireless access. Often times it's not even a lack of bandwidth, but the amount of packet loss that causes issues and dropouts. Try wired or your 4G/5G connection if that's the case. If you're worried about your data usage, check Bandwidth Usage of Coviu.
Screensharing is not working
A mixed Chrome/Firefox browser environment will disable certain features, amongst them Screensharing, because of lack of browser interoperability.
My camera is not working
- Are you stuck in a loop of not being able to access your camera? Make sure you're in Google Chrome, Safari, Edge or Firefox.
- If you don't have a camera, you can do an audio-only call, but it will give you a reduced experience. We recommend you buy a HD webcam.
- If your computer has a camera and you still can't access it, try restarting your browser or Coviu app. If that doesn't work, restart your computer.
I can't hear my client or patient
- This can either be the audio source at your end or an issue with the microphone at your clients end.
- Make sure your speakers or earphones are plugged in properly, the volume is turned up and not muted.
- You can always try playing a YouTube video to check if the audio works.
- Coviu allows you to choose different output devices - go to the Settings cogwheel and choose your speakers.
- If your audio is fine, then you may need to ask your client to check their microphone is working.
My client can't hear me
- The other end can't hear you? Make sure your microphone is plugged in properly and that the microphone level on your computer is turned up.
- Make sure Coviu is using the right microphone. You can choose your microphone input by going to the Settings cogwheel and clicking on Microphone and choosing the correct microphone.
- On tablets or mobile devices check that the microphone has not been disabled or muted.
- If your microphone is working properly, then it may be that your clients audio or speakers are not working properly. Please ask them to check volume is up and not muted.
Are you connecting from your work or a corporate network?
If you are connecting into a Coviu call from a corporate environment or your work environment, it is possible that your corporate firewall may be blocking or hindering connectivity. You may need to get your IT team to allow Coviu through your firewall. Feel free to share this Firewall and Proxy Settings article with them.